I am so thrilled how these earrings turned out! In the books, Luna Lovegood wore her infamous radish earrings and in the movies they were beaded adornments. I took the opportunity to make some that were close to what she had in the films.
If you’d like to make your own, here’s some instructions!
For the first part I used fishing line since it has less flexibility than a wire. This helps to make the earrings 3D.
- Place three clear beads onto your thread and loop the thread around again through two of those beads. Make sure it’s all centered on your fishing line.
- Put two more beads on your line, looping the other side through them and tightening. Then 3 beads, then 5 beads.
- Once I made those five rows, I added a sixth row of six light pink beads to give it a more blended look. Rows eight and on are all red and are in the following order: 7, 8, 9, 9, 9, 10, 10, 10, 8, 8, 5, 5, 3. The fishing line makes the beads curve out since it doesn’t like to be folded, making the earring 3D and radish-y! Once all of the beads are on the line, tie on an earring hook of your choice. I used a square knot and knotted it once more to keep it secure.
- For the leaves, I used a piece of really thin electric wire so it would have a little more structure, though I’d suggest using a beading wire with a high gauge to it so it will keep its shape. I made two of these leaves with the following number of beads in the rows: 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 3 and I left some tails on the end to secure them both where the hook is attached.
- Tie the tails of the leaves to the base of the hook or on the wire attached to the hook.
Voila! Luna Lovegood beaded radish earrings!
Check out Samma and Jo and their versions of the radish earrings here!